Body Image || Ashlee Lewis || Ashlee Lewis Photography || East Central Illinois Photographer

Wikipedia says: Body image is a person's feelings of the aesthetics or attractiveness of their own body, which may be forced onto them by others or social media. 

Why does social media get a say?! I get to define who I am. I get to define my self worth. NOT instagram or facebook! Why would you let anyone define you?

Body image is how you see yourself in the mirror or how you picture yourself in your mind.
·         What you believe about your own appearance (including your memories, assumptions, and generalizations).
·         How you feel about your body, including your height, shape, and weight.
·          How you feel in your body, not just about your body. 

Negative Body Image
·         A distorted perception of your shape--you perceive parts of your body unlike they really are.
·         You are convinced that only other people are attractive and that your body size or shape is a sign of personal failure.
·         You feel ashamed, self-conscious, and anxious about your body.
·         You feel uncomfortable and awkward in your body.

~ Personal failure, yup been there.. Hide Ashlee, hide in the big baggy t-shirt! People may look at you! *gasp* they will probably judge you! *gasp* ~ When I look in the mirror, I see a fun house mirror version of myself; you know the short squatty stretchy crazy looking mirrors? My nose is too big, my boobs are too big, my legs are short, my belly is huge. True? Eh maybe. But they are all still ME. 
 What kind of box am I trying to fit myself into? Round peg, square hole? What's good for me, may not be for my sisters or my neighbors, or my clients, or people I've never met. 

Positive Body Image
·         A clear, true perception of your shape--you see the various parts of your body as they really are.
·         You celebrate and appreciate your natural body shape and you understand that a person’s physical appearance says very little about their character and value as a person.
·         You feel proud and accepting of your unique body and refuse to spend an unreasonable amount of time worrying about food, weight, and calories.

·         You feel comfortable and confident in your body.

I have struggled my entire life with my weight, my self esteem, my sense of worth, and who I am. In my eyes, I was never good enough. Never pretty enough. Not smart enough. Not athletic enough. 
Oh look there's Ashlee, the short odd shaped chubby girl!
Really? I mean, come on Ashlee. Where was the baseball bat to whack myself in the head with?

I had an epiphany this weekend. I have two impressionable girls. How can I teach them to love themselves and to understand body image, if I don't do anything to improve myself? I don't want them to be in the same boat I was. I am not a size two, nor while I ever be a size two. I just want to be healthy. I want to show Allee and Addison to be be active, be healthy (yes, you can still have some ice cream! who am I kidding, DQ is open!) but most importantly, to LOVE who they are. 

I turned 35 this year. I think it's taken me about this long to say, hey! I like me! I changed how I dress, not to impress anyone, but to change how I felt. If you dress like a slob, you are probably going to feel that way. Most often, you will find me in a pretty dress and sandals. Why? Because I feel good in it! I like my day job, love my photography business, in love with my family, and enjoy being me. Me! Goofy, chatty, odd shaped,loving, creative, ME! 

As a photographer, I capture the beauty that is within. You don't need to be perfect or crazy skinny or whatever unrealistic expectation you have set for yourself. You just need to be you. YOU, yes you, mom hiding in the corner (I see you!), you must exist in the pictures too! Our kids need us to be in the pictures! They don't care if our hair is less than perfect. They don't care if we haven't lost that extra 5 pounds. What are we teaching our daughters with all of the I can'ts and I should haves? 

As I begin my journey to being healthy, join me! Check back for my updates. My over all goal is to loose some weight, be active, and be awesome! Most importantly to teach my daughters to love themselves and never let anyone tell them they aren't worth it. 

Who's with me? 




Comments